Thursday, April 19, 2012

First Farmer's Market Run

Tuesday was idyllic. Lunch with friends, errands at my own pace, and then an anticipated event: the opening of the Mount Pleasant Farmer's Market.

Of course, the Charleston Farmer's Market every Saturday in Marion Square is closer to me, but for ease of food shopping, the Mt. P one has it all, fruits, veggies, eggs, spices, seafood and lamb and chicken (!) without the clogging crowds or the clogging amount of crafts. So for this cook, it's absolutely perfect.

My first order of business -- the first shrimp of the season, per my desire to eat more seafood at home. These came right off the boat in McClellanville:


They were huge! And like the freshest of the fresh, smelled like clean ocean water. Nothing "fishy" about these shrimp. One pound will last me two meals, and I got the heads-on so I can make shrimp stock with the celery and onions already at home.

After that, it was on to fill my fridge for the rest of the week. I got the shrimp AND all this for $18:


That's fresh purple asparagus, cherry tomatoes, a lot of radishes, a pint of strawberries, and an organic Genova basil plant that will (if I'm good to it) help feed me all summer! A quick trip past Trader Joe's on the way home filled in with cheese, milk, hummus, cereal and wine, and thus, the week is set.

Delicious, local, in many cases organic, and on a budget. Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment