Friday, February 10, 2012

Stand By for Fresh Ice

If you're interested in reading my latest "away from the blog writing," an article on the Art of Mixology in Charleston, you'll have to get a print copy of the latest issue of The Local Palate. It was a fun research assignment, getting behind the bar to see the infusions, concoctions, mixtures and in general, obsessions of some of Charleston's masters.

However, there is an excerpt online, which is about The Gin Joint and Joe Raya's focus on ice. That's right. He says it is the most important, yet most overlooked, part of a beverage.

I am into ice. In the little kitchen, I ditched those dollar-store cube trays a while ago and started buying a bag every now and again to keep in the freezer. No ice maker, you say? Well, you obviously haven't seen my fridge or you wouldn't say that.

I use my ice cube tray for pesto now -- like this, but it's a red tray

But we know that ice makes a difference. Like those little pellets of ice that come with your diner fountain soda. Or the shaved ice that comes from the most perfect snoball stand on Magazine Street in New Orleans. Or the ice I shot through my straw across an elementary school cafeteria table that started an epic food fight and got me cleaning gum under the tables and scared of lunch lady/MY bus driver Mrs. Williams until I started junior high ...

But the best ice of all is marinated ice. Next time, ask your bartender for that when you order your next drink. But don't ask Joe Raya -- he probably won't like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment