Wednesday, June 13, 2012

An Instagram Intervention

Over the weekend, my friends staged an intervention. It wasn't for Cheez-It's, K? I've gone through the 12-step program there ...

It was for Instagram.

Marcus said to stop taking pictures of food. I said, food is all I am taking pictures of right now, unless you count new eye shadow techniques, which I promise I do not post anywhere. He said, well, fine, I'm going to unfollow you on Instagram.

Holly said, I'm not sure all of these pics are in focus. I said, but I put a filter on it. She said, That chorizo picture of it draining on a paper towel cannot be fixed by a filter. Or that picture of kale. I got a little nauseated at looking at it. I liked that picture of kale, I said. It was like an art piece.


My kale art
She just stared at me silently. So this is what it felt like.

Back when I worked at Lowcountry Living, I distinctly remember thinking on a holiday food shoot, Good God, Why is this taking so long? I mean, the food is NOT moving. It's just sitting there. How hard can it be?

Of course, since then, I have come to understand that photographing food is one of the hardest things in the photography biz. I have seen the work of amazing photographers. I bow down to them, not just because it's hard for me to do, but because they have beautiful work. They are artists. It's obvious I don't have it ...

Back to the discussion. Well, Marcus, look at this fish I made recently. It was fresh mahi, and the recipe was from Garden and Gun. It was delicious.

He chuckled, then got serious. OK ... he said, really looking at my phone in the dark. That kind of looks like caveman food. I am not really even sure what that means, but I know this -- whatever it means, he is right.

Cavemen mahi with a buerre blanc
So, while I cry in the corner, read some tutorials, and decide not to post pictures of chorizo in any form, here are some food blogs where the photography will make you swoon:




It looks so good; wouldn't it be awesome to cook it?

1 comment:

  1. new vocab word: Instagroan http://life.notcot.com/ha-instagroan ;-) The show Portlandia seriously needs to do a new skit called, "Put a filter on it!" to take place of their "Put a bird on it!" skit. steph, don't give up just yet! just stay away from photographing all meats at this point.

    ReplyDelete