Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dear Person Wandering in the Baking Aisle

I see you, brow furrowed as you try to decipher between slivered and pieced almonds. You are reading a recipe that to you sounds ah-mazing, and you are ready to attempt it, excited, emboldened, until just this very moment when I see you.

Will it make a difference what almond I choose, you think as you stand in the middle of the aisle, two days before Thanksgiving with your cart filled with Stove Top and cheap wine (you're going to need a good amount if you're going to get through this). You thought it would be a good idea to invite everyone over, but now you're rethinking everything, including that special dessert with candied almonds on a crust of cranberries. So festive!

Although I want to approach you in the store, I've tried that before and end up looking like the desperately lonely woman who just needs conversation besides her cats. No, I bite my tongue, grab a box of powered sugar, 10x, and head on my way.

But to you, gentle cook. Give yourself a break. Don't try something that you've never tried before if it will just stress you out. The people that are coming over are coming over to spend time with you -- yes, they'll be looking for some food -- but it doesn't have to be that confounding concoction that you are pondering now.

Be nice to yourself. Do what you know, light a scented candle, fluff the pillows and go for it. If that means buying that plastic-covered pecan pie in the deli section, I'm not here to judge. Just take off the plastic, put it on a pretty plate, and smile. We will be happy to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment