Monday, November 28, 2011

Hurricane Frances Five-Spice Chicken

Bob and I lived in Florida the year of four hurricanes. Since we were two blocks from the beach and one block from the bay, we took them seriously, and that meant making sure that when the power went out, we had something to eat. And I am not talking about Dinty Moore!

We always had chicken in the freezer, hurricane season is late summer, and so we knew when the power went out, the food would eventually go bad. So along with hotel reservations, storm watching, water-bottle-buying and securing lawn furniture, we cooked.

I came up with this recipe during the prep for Hurricane Frances, and as we sat by candelight, we ate this chicken and drank Corona. It was one of those hurricanes that gave me a bit of post-traumatic stress, but the chicken recipe made it worthwhile.

For this ultra-simple recipe, I use Chinese five spice, something that is having a bit of a moment now, but in 2003, was just part of my exploration of the more obscure aisles at Albertson's. On Saturday, I replenished my supply at the Charleston Farmers Market with this grinder from Charleston Spice Company:


Although the company's custom spice blend was amazing, I found the grinder frustrating since it wasn't heavy duty enough to hold up to cinnamon, fennel, and other odd shaped spices. Still, I managed to get enough of the seasoning on for last night's chicken, and the freshly ground spices lent a fresh flavor to the dish.

Hurricane Frances Five Spice Chicken

1 family package of chicken legs
seasoned flour for breading (I'm a House-Autry fan)
canola oil
Chinese five spice, ground

1. Wash and dry chicken.
2. Sprinkle a generous amount of five spice directly onto each chicken leg, approx. 1/8 tsp., then coat with seasoned flour.
3. Arrange in a greased 13x9 baking dish.
4. Drizzle a couple drops of oil onto each leg. The chicken should look mostly dry.
5. Bake for 45 minutes at 425 degrees, and there's no need to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment