Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Dubious Battle Hamburger Steak

As of late, I've found a local source for ground beef. I have already professed my love for chicken on this blog, but I do eat beef a few times a month, so I was happy to find this great source for chili, ragu and the occasional hamburger steak.

There is a passage in John Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle that describes in detail a hamburger steak with onions, and ever since reading this years ago, I've studded my steak with onions, a depression-era diner trick.

The other night, I was in a diner kind of mood, and with my trusty cast iron skillet, created a Steinbeck-worthy moment (well, with that and Instagram).


It was a thick, down on the picket lines kind of main dish, and I was needing some fortification. Reporting for duty, sir.


No comments:

Post a Comment