Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lingering lamb shanks

I've been dragging my feet a bit thinking about writing this post, as I was so excited to cook these babies up. 

Honestly, they were less than stellar ... I lightly floured and browned them in my cast iron skillet, then used homemade chicken stock and red wine, some fresh rosemary, garlic and cherry tomatoes to braise them. They stayed on the stove for about 10 minutes, then went into the oven for 2 hours.

I hung out, had wine and cheese, opened the oven door, closed it, had a handful of almonds, watched an episode of Mad Men, then checked again. Y'all, I was hungry, and so I pulled them after two hours. They could've gone another 30 minutes at least.

Once reduced, the braising liquid became a chunky, luscious sauce, and I served that over some jasmine rice. Easy. Added arugula for a green, and I was good to go. 

Added note: photographing meat is hard! This is reminiscent of a 1960s Betty Crocker cookbook photo -- sorry.
The meat and sauce had an amazing flavor, but I felt more cave woman pulling the meat from the bone than fine diner pulling it away with her fork. I ate it and hoped for the best when I warmed it up the next night. Nope. The next night, it dried out a bit so was a little more jerky-esque in some parts. 

Sigh.

The flavor was delicious, though, so I will try again. All the recipes I saw called for more than 2 shanks, so I was trying to adjust the time and porportions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment